Rivers List in Himachal Pradesh
The following are the list of rivers in Himachal Pradesh:-
- Chenab:-Chenab is also known as Chandrabhaga because Chenab is formed from the confluence of the Chandra and the Bhaga rivers. The Chandra river originates from the glaciers and the Bhaga river originated from Surya Taal lake. Vedic name of Chenab is ‘Askini’.It was also mentioned in a rig Veda. The length of Chenab is 920 km and it is also the largest river (by volume) in Himachal Pradesh. There is no power plant on the Chenab river in Himachal Pradesh.
- Sutlej:- According to Rig Veda, the Vedic name of Sutlej is ‘Shutudri’ and Sanskrit’s name is ‘Sathdru’. Sutlej River also spelled as Satluj river. It is originated in Tibet and after that enter Himachal Pradesh. The length of the Sutlej river is 1450 km, the longest river of Himachal Pradesh
Dams on Sutlej river:-
|1||Bhakra Nangal Dam||Bilaspur||520||226|
|3||Nathpa jakri dam||Kinnaur||185||67.5|
3. Ravi:- According to Rig Veda, the Vedic name of Ravi is ‘Parushini’ and Sanskrit’s name is ‘Irawati’.Ravi river is originated from the Kangra district. The length of the Ravi river is 158km before entering Punjab state
Dams on Ravi river:-
|1||Chamera I Dam||Bhattiyat,Chamba||295||140|
|2||Chamera II Dam||Chamba||119||39|
|3||Chamera III Dam||Bhamour,Chamba||78||68|
|5||Malana I Dam||Kullu||305||18|
4. Beas:– According to ancient history, Vedic age. The Vedic name Beas river is: ‘Aarijik‘ and the Sanskrit name is: ‘Bipasha‘. The Beas river is originated from Beaskund in the Pir Panjal range near the Rohtang Pass. It covers distance upto 260 km in Himachal Pradesh before entering Punjab state.
Dams on Bras river:-
5. Yamuna:– Basically it is originated from Utter Kashi of Uttrakhand and it is the second-largest tributary river of the Ganga and the longest tributary in India. Vedic name of yamuna is: ‘Kalindi’ According to the ‘purans’, Yamuna is the daughter of Surya deva and the sister of Yama – the god of death so the Yamuna is also worshiped like Ganga. It is merging with Ganga at Triveni Sangam, Allahabad where Indians celebrate the Kumbh Mela after every 12 years. The Yamuna is the smallest river among all five rivers.