In this blog, you will read about the history of Mandi Himachal Pradesh and this article can help you in your competitive exams. Mandi was earlier known as Mandav Nagar and is connected by the National Highway to Pathankot and Manali and the National Highway to Chandigarh. The district mandi is currently the second largest economy of the state after Kangra. And Mandi is also known as “Kashi of Himachal”. (Small Kashi)! The International Shivratri fair held in Mandi is very famous. Mandi is the first heritage town of Himachal Pradesh. The city also has the remains of old palaces and ‘architectural notables’.
History of Mandi Himachal Pradesh
The present district of Mandi was formed on 15 April 1948. With the merger of two princely states, Mandi State and Suket State, when the state of Himachal Pradesh was formed. The region was under the control of the Ranas or Thakurs. The only place with an early mention in literature is Rewalsar and it is mentioned in the Skanda Purana as a holy pilgrimage place.
The princely state of Mandi was founded by Bahu Sen in 1200 AD. Ajbar Sen established the historical city of Mandi in 1526 AD. The chiefs of the Mandi state are said to be descended from ancestors of the Sena dynasty of Rajputs of Bengal, who claim descent from the Pandavas of the Mahabharata period. Some historians select the present capital in 1527 AD. It is said that the idol of Madho Rai, the presiding deity of Mandi and an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, was made by goldsmith Bhima in 1648. Maharaja Ranjit Singh captured Mandi in 1839, but Ranjit Singh died on 27 June 1839.
On 21 February 1846, the chiefs of Mandi and Suket met Mr. Erskine, the Superintendent of the Hill States for the British Government, pledging their allegiance to the British and their protection. On March 9, 1846, a treaty was signed between the British government and the Sikh court. By which the entire Doab region between the Beas and the Sutlej was ceded to the British government. And included the states of Mandi and Suket. After that, in 1906 Lala Lajpat Rai visited Mandi to organize revolutionary activities. A rebellion broke out in the Mandi kingdom against the oppressive, corrupt, and arrogant administration of Raja Bhawani Sen and his Vizier Jiva Nandpad. This rebellion was led by Shobha Ram in 1909.
A prominent revolutionary from Mandi, Hardev Ram joined a revolutionary band of patriots in 1913. Mandi Legislative Council was formed in 1933. Swami Purnananda of Mandi became the “Himalayan Hill States Regional Council” (established in 1945) and Pt. Padam Dev became its general secretary. From 8 March 1946 to 10 March 1946, a session of the “Himalayan Hill States Regional Council” was held at Mandi. INA workers Dhillon, Sehgal, and Shahnawaz also participated in it. On 1 November 1921, both the states of Mandi and Suket were transferred from the political control of the Government of Punjab to the Government of India until 15 August 1947, India’s Independence Day. So finally the state came into existence on 15th April 1948.